I've been experimenting lately with some gluten-free recipes, and I'm really enjoying them! Here is a cookie dough recipe I plan on trying out for the holidays! These would also make amazing jar gifts too!
- 1 1/2 cups superfine brown rice flour
- 2/3 cup arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and use a large whisk to blend. Sift mixed ingredients in a gluten free flour sifter. Store in a container with a tight fitting lid or in a sealed paper or plastic bag. Label- Gluten Free Sugar Cookie Mix.
To Make Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies-
You will need:
1 recipe of Gluten-Free Sugar Cookie Mix (dry ingredients)
1 cup cold, cubed butter (2 sticks)
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon peel (takes about 2 lemons)
Gluten Free Cookie Sprinkle Decorations (optional)
- Place the dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Place the cover on the processor and pulse about 3 times.
- Add the cubed, cold butter and pulse about 10 times. The mixture will be crumbly.
- Add the egg, lemon extract and lemon peel and pulse about 5 times. The mixture will look crumbly but should form a ball when squeezed together.
- If the mixture is too dry to form a ball, add 1 tablesoon milk and pulse about 5 times.
- Scrape the dough onto a large sheet of waxed paper and squeeze the dough into a ball. Use hands to shape the ball into a long cylinder, about 2 inches in diameter.
- Wrap the sheet of waxed paper around the cookie dough "log" and refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour or freeze the dough to use later.
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 176° C and line two baking sheets with parchment paper, silicone mats or lightly grease with vegetable shortening. When you are ready to bake the cookies, remove from refrigerator or freezer. Slice in 1/4-inch rounds and roll each section into a ball. Place 12 balls on each prepared baking sheet. Dip a glass in fine sugar and press each ball of dough into a flat circle.
- Alternatively, cut chilled dough rolls into 1/4" slices and bake. This method makes a slightly thicker cookie.
- Optional- Sprinkle with gluten free colored sugars.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until light golden brown around the edges.
Here is the 2nd giveaway that I promised!!! This is what you wanna win for the holidays!!!
Dishin’ With Rebelle, Thoughts of a Mother, Wife, and Daughter, Dishin’ up Savings & Virtually Yours present our first annual Cookie Swap/Giveaway! Prizes are:
A Wilton Cookie Press
A Holiday Recipe Box
A Mix it Up Holiday Box from Kukees
A mix of 4 Fine Flavorings/Extracts and Cookbook from Nielsen-Massey
A mix of Cookies and Cookbook from Tate's Bake Shop
2 bags of oreos and 2 bags of chips ahoy cookies